Cambodia National Environment Strategy and Action Plan (2015-2018)
In late 2017, with lead support from the GMS Core Environment Program, Cambodia launched its new roadmap for sustainable development, the National Environment Strategy and Action Plan (NESAP).
The NESAP identifies priority policy tools and financing options for sustainable natural resource management and environmental protection. It will guide government ministries, private sector, civil society, and development organizations to mainstream environmental considerations into development policies, plans, and investments.
In 1998, Cambodia produced its first, and only, National Environmental Action Plan covering 1998–2002. The NESAP covers 2015–2023 to align with the country’s Rectangular Strategy and National Strategic Development Plan. It will complement the new National Environmental Code, which focuses on establishing a stronger legal framework and is currently in draft form.
The NESAP was developed under the guidance of an Interministerial Taskforce comprising senior officials from 15 ministries. Representatives from civil society as well as major development organizations including the World Bank, ADB, the European Union were involved via a series of national consultations.
Analytical work for the NESAP included:
- Assessing the potential socioeconomic benefits of improved environmental sustainability.
- Reviewing the current status of environment and natural resources in the country.
- Analyzing key drivers of environment and natural resources change.
- Reviewing the implementation performance of existing development strategies on environment, green growth, and sustainable development and identifying key lessons.
- Identifying and prioritizing policy mechanisms and tools, as well as financing options for incentivizing specific environment investments as well as environment mainstreaming in key economic and social sectors.
- Identifying stakeholder roles to operationalize the NESAP.
The NESAP was approved by the Royal Government of Cambodia in December 2018 and the English version of the strategy can be downloaded below.
Publish Date: 9th October 2015
Last Updated: 4th June 2018